The Business requirements gathering step aims to identify the end-users' key business requirements and KPI's to build customized dashboards that meet their needs. Well-defined requirements are the foundation for a clear, comprehensible dashboard, that enables the end-user to gain business insights.
To help you get started, we've gathered a list of questions that will help you gather the information required for your project from your end-users.
Required Information - Questions List
TIP: Just like a good story, requirements should answer all your important questions. Think about the What, When, Who, and How:
Define the dashboard’s business need
● Who is going to use the dashboards?
● What are the dashboard business’ needs? (Summarize/ analyze/ monitor)
● When will the dashboard be used? How timely, must the data be?
Describe success and set KPIs
● Describe success: what is your desired business result?
● What KPIs represents this business result?
Identify cause and effect chain
● What behaviors or activities will drive desired business success?
● What are the expected intrinsic outcomes?
Build dashboards hierarchy and KPI architecture
● What measures represent intrinsic outcomes (leading & lagging)?
● How would you describe it? Build dash hierarchy
This list should help you define requirements for your dashboard that clearly visualizes your business objectives. In addition, we've created a step-by-step process on how to gather the information you need. From planning and getting ready to conduct an information research session. To read further please refer to "How to gather the information?" document attached to this article.