Dashboards can be shared easily within the same Local Area Connection (LAN or 'subnet'), however, when trying to share dashboards externally, if the required settings were not applied, you will encounter a connectivity error.
Being able to share dashboards externally with your users is extremely important, they will have access to the desired information at all times which can even be viewed on their mobile devices.
Required IT settings
- Assure the machine has a Public IP which will be shared with your end-users. Consult your IT professional / ISP for more details. If you do not have a static IP - make sure you have a domain name asssociated to your dynamic IP by a DNS service
- Implement a security layer. You can use either a VPN ('tunnel') or SSL ('https', more common). This ensures that all data passed between the web server and the clients is encrypted and remains private.
You can learn more about SSL implementation within Sisense in the following link - Implementation of SSL with Sisense
- Open the inbound TCP port ( by default 8081 ) on your Firewall(s). If you've implemented SSL - make sure port 443 is open as well
Once these settings are implemented, external users who were granted the access will be able to view dashboards by entering the machines IP and the port Sisense communicates on for example: xx.xxx.xx.xx:8081 or myBi.company.com:8081
If a user is unable to connect remotely after the settings were applied, you can test the communication between the machines to understand the source of the connectivity failure by doing the following:
- Try pinging the IP address through the Windows Command Line (CMD), this will show if there is communication available between both machines
- If you are able to ping the machine, use the telnet command to ensure you are able to communicate through the required port, for example telnet [IP address] 8081
- Try to understand if you can access Sisense Web locally (from the server itself) or is it a network issue
Please note that these settings are internal IT settings which need to be addressed by your IT deparment
Please feel free to open a support ticket if further assistance is required