Create a New Plugin
There are different options for adding the functionality you are looking for with the plugins framework. We published a set of forum posts that guide you through each of the options. Please find below and follow the links to learn more on how to create:
- Create a new plugin
- Extend the functionality of an existing widget
- Extend the functionality of a dashboard
Promote Your Plugin in the Community
Once you have a fully functional plugin, it’s time to share your creation with others and help them enjoy what you’ve been working on so hard.
To share and promote your plugin in the Sisense community, first publish the plugin in the Plugins forum, by clicking on a “New post” from anywhere on the site. Please make sure to add to your post complete and detailed instructions. Here is what should be included:
- Download Link: please add a link to download your plugin at the top of the article. This will make it easier to find and download your link. Please refer to bullets 7 and 8 for additional information on plugins file type and storage.
- Plugin Overview: Detailed explanation of what is the purpose of the plugin.
- Use cases: Clear examples of use with screenshots or links to demo content accessible by anyone with the link
- Input parameters and design options: Input parameters are what a plugin will use to create a visual. An example would be a line chart displaying Total Sales per Category. The input parameter will be Category Name and Total Sum of Sales. Design option are ways to change the look and feel of a plugin. For example, displaying the value of each point on the line chart.
- Installation instructions
- If you choose not to support your plugin, please state so in your post. This disclaimer, will help our members to understand that they are using the plugin at their own risk and you will not provide plugin support on a regular basis.
- File Type: save your file as .zip and not .rar
- File Storage: Please note that as of now, there is no native functionality to upload attachments in the Forums section of the community. As a temporary workaround, we provide a designated Google Drive folder “Sisense Community Plugins”, where all members can upload and download Sisense plugins. Important to know:
- You are required to have a Google account to be able to access and make any changes (upload, edit, or remove files) in this folder.
- This is a shared folder accessible by everyone who has a link. Anyone can upload, download, edit, or remove the files. Therefore, please make sure in addition to uploading files to this folder, saving your plugin/s locally to avoid any permanent loss of your work.
- If you can’t access the folder, your plugin has disappeared, or any other issue, please write us an email to email@example.com .
- If you’ve made changes or upgraded your plugin, simply edit the post and add Updated information with the description of the changes at the bottom of the post so our members will know.
There are a few methods to promote your plugin in the community and outside of it:
- Add an announcement on the community homepage - if you are interested in promoting your plugin on the homepage, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll feature your plugin.
- Social media shares - after publishing the post, you can share your plugin on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
- Be sure to mention @Sisense when posting for a chance to have your plugin featured on our social media channels.