Download: Histogram Widget
This article explains how to install and configure the Histogram widget as seen below.
A Histogram is a plot plot that lets you discover, and show, the underlying frequency distribution (shape) of a set of continuous data. This allows the inspection of the data for its underlying distribution, outliers, skewness, etc.
This widget will allow users to create a graphical display where the data is grouped into ranges/bins (such as "40 to 49", "50 to 59", etc), and then plotted as bars. Similar to a Bar Graph, but in a Histogram each bar is for a range of data. The widget will allow the user to control the number of bins, and will automatically calculate the size of each bin accordingly.
How to Install and Configure the plugin
Step 1 - Add The Plugin
Download the attachment and unzip the contents into your C:\Program Files\Sisense\PrismWeb\plugins\ folder. If you are using version 7.2 and higher unzip the contents into your C:\Program Files\Sisense\app\plugins\ folder. If the plugins folder doesn't exist, just create it. After those files have been unzipped there, you may also have to restart the web server. Now, when you create a new widget the "Histogram Plugin" should show up in the list of options.
Step 2 - Create the "Histogram Plugin" Widget
On your dashboard, click the Create Widget button and select Advanced Configuration. Next, select the "Histogram Plugin" from the drop down list. For this you will need to specify the Categories (optional) and a Value fields (required). For the below example, we have added the following: Categories from "Driver Name" field, and "Value" from the "Miles" field, and changed the number of bins to 10.
As a result, the above Histogram will display the number of Drivers for each Mile group.
The widget also offers the following design options:
1. Binning Method:
- Automatic - sers enter the number of bin by moving the slider, value ranges between 1 - 20, and bin size is calculated automatically
Manual - users type in the bins in the text field seperated by a comma. example: 10,40,-20,30,70,-10,85. the values don't have to be in order, the widget will sort them automatically. See below example:
2. Labels - will allow users to display the number of occurrences above each bin as a value or as percent
3. Bar Border - toggle on/off of drawing a border around each Bin
4. Gradient Fill - toggle on/off using gradient fill affect to color each bin
5. Bar Width - this is only valid for Manual binning and control the width of each bin. This can be using the size of the bin , or evenly distributed
6. Bar Bin Precision- this parameter will allow to control the precision when calculating bin size. This will accommodation for dataset where the distribution number are in small increments
- There is no support for custom formulas within the Value field (any complex formulas should be contracted on the Elasticube level)
- There widget doesn't provide the ability to select/filter on a specific bin (or bar)
- If only the Value field is select, then the Histogram widget will count the number of "Values" that falls within each group range
- If Manual binning is selected having a widget filter using the same field in the Value parameter will have no effect
- 5-Jan-2017 - Initial release
- 6-Jan-2017 - Fix CSS elements within the widget that interfered with the other dashboard widgets
- 9-Jan-2017 - handle the rendering case where there is a widget filter that limits the range of the Value field
- 11-Jan-2017 - rotate the X-Axis label so it displays nicely when the values are in the thousands. Also automatically hide the X-Axis labels and bars labels when chart is minimized below threshold
- 01-31-2017 - fix the label formatting issue where value label were not created when formatter object was missing
- 02-07-2017 - fix issue where widget filter were affecting all other Histogram widget filters
- 02-07-2017 - fix issue where the labels are not centered when bin count is over 10
- 2-10-2017 - Label formatting was done on the bins value instead of the X Axis values. It is now fixed
- 2-24-2017 - Adjust the y Axis spacing from the left edge to give it enough space for large values
- Fix the issue where negative values did not show up in the X-Axis
- Added the option to draw a border around each bar
- Added the option to set Gradient Bar fill
- Add the ability to setup the bins manually
- Add the ability to control the Bin width either based on size of bin or
- Add the ability to set the precision for bin size to accommodate for a data-set where the number are distributed // in small increments
- 02-21-2018 - update styler controls to work with 7.x
- 09-13-2018 - Fix JAQL API endpoint when running under version 7.2
Please sign in to leave a comment.