Download: Overlapping Column Chart
This article explains how to install and configure the Overlapping Column Chart widget as seen below.
Overlap Column Charts are useful if comparing two related data points and is the most powerful if there is an important relationship between the two data points. For example, one may want to look at total revenue and total customers. Each piece data series is information on its own, but put together, one may be able to draw additional conclusions such as customer concentration and average revenue per customer over time.
Another benefit of an Overlapping Column chart is overcoming the physical real estate available on a chart. One can present the same data side by side by using a simple clustered column chart, however, if you have many data points (i.e. a long timeseries) the chart may be difficult to read. An Overlapping Column chart can essentially “squeeze” the data together without comprising the readability.
This chart also has the option to cluster the Columns instead of overlapping. This comes in handy when trying to compare data points of various series’, while trying to highlight one series in particular. For example, if we are trying to compare how actual financial results have stacked up against projection, the clustered option would be appropriate.
The Overlapping Column chart is simple to create but is a good tool for data analysis and is visually appealing. The audience of the dashboard will appreciate the simplicity of the chart as they will be able to discern messages quickly.
How to Install and Configure the Extension
Step 1 - Add The Plugin
Download the attachment and unzip the contents into your C:\Program Files\Sisense\PrismWeb\plugins\ folder. If you are using version 7.2 and higher unzip the contents into your C:\Program Files\Sisense\app\plugins\ folder. If the plugins folder doesn't exist, just create it. After those files have been unzipped there, you may also have to restart the web server. Now, when you create a new widget the "Overlapping Column Chart Extension" should show up in the list of options.
Step 2 - Create the "Overlap Column Chart Extension" Widget
On your dashboard, click the Create Widget button and select Advanced Configuration. Next, select the "Overlapping Column Chart Extension" from the drop down list. For this you will need to specify the Categories and a Value field (up to 3 values). For the below example, we have added the following: Categories from "Category Name" field, and the following "Value" fields: Total Quantity, Total Quantity1 & Total Sales.
As a result, the above Overlap chart will show the relationship between the various sales matrix for each Category Item.
The widget also offers the following design options:
Overlap Type – this will control how the chart will display the columns, there are 2 options:
- Bar Offset – this will allow to adjust column offset for each type
- Labels – toggle on/off displaying value labels for each Category
- Bar Border - toggle on/off to allow drawing a border around each column
- Show ToolTips – toggle on/off showing a tooltip for each category
- Show Legend - show/hide chart legend
- Show On Right Axis – this option is accessible via the measure menu and will put the selected value on a secondary Y-Axis on the right of the chart
– Initial release
- fix issue where widget was not loading the data when dependent filter are selected.
- fix styling so widget can be downloaded as image/pdf
- fix issue where Y-Label axis were cutoff
- fix issue where value labels were not displaying correctly when there was only one or 2 series
- Add support for Slice/Filter option
- Add the option to show/hide legend
- Fix label display not adjusting correctly
- Automatically hide labels when chart height is less then breakpoint
- Fix styler controls for version 7.x
Please sign in to leave a comment.