Download: Waterfall Chart
Version : 1.1
This article explains how to import a Waterfall Chart from HighCharts as a plugin in Sisense.
Waterfall charts are a common way to represent the variance over time for a given dimension. For example, you could use a waterfall chart to show the variance year over year for different product families.
The following steps will walk through the process of adding the new chart type and creating a sample waterfall chart.
Step 1 - Add the Plugin
Download the attachment and unzip the contents into your C:\Program Files\Sisense\PrismWeb\plugins\ folder. If you are using version 7.2 and higher unzip the contents into your C:\Program Files\Sisense\app\plugins\ folder. If the plugins folder doesn't exist, just create it. After those files have been unzipped there, you may also have to restart the web server. Now, when you create a new widget the waterfall chart should show up in the list of options
Step 2 - Create the Chart
On your dashboard, click the Create Widget button and select Advanced Configuration. Next, select the Waterfall Chart from the chart types menu. Pick a dimension to use as your x-axis, such as department, product line, etc. Next we need to select our start and end metrics. Since we need to specify a time range, this can be done using measured values. Click the + sign next to Start Metric and click the F(x) icon. This interface allows you to create measured values based on the fields available in your Elasticube. Using Measured values is a way to restrict the values for a given metric without affecting the rest of the chart. So for example, if you wanted to see Sales for 2013 just follow the steps below.
- Type as open parentheses and the click on the field for Sales (sum)
- Add a comma
- Select the time dimension, and click on the option to filter based on this field
- Select the year 2013 as the filter condition
- Add the closing parentheses
- Click the star icon to save this formula and name is 2013 Sales
Use the same steps to create a measured value for 2014 Sales, and enter that as your End Metric. Once you have both metrics and the dimension defined, the chart should render showing the totals for each year and the variance by each dimension member.
Step 3 - Format the Chart
There are a few formatting options available for this chart, listed below.
- Color the Start and End bars - use the color icons under the Start Metric and End Metric labels
- Data Label Color - On the Design tab, use the toggle to switch between black and white
- Data Label Location - One the Design tab, use the toggle to switch between the values being shown above or within the bars.
- Highcharts Waterfall
- Sisense Formulas
- Updated Oct 12, 2016 - This plugin was updated to handle null values, when calculating the variance for the bars
- Another common way to use this plugin is to have a filter at the dashboard level to determine the time period (year, quarter, month, etc). When creating the waterfall chart you can use a regular aggregation for the End Metric and one of the PAST functions with the same aggregation as the Start Metric
- 8-24-2018 - fix export to PDF issue
Please sign in to leave a comment.